This page contains affiliated links, which means I may earn a commission on clicks or the sale of a product you purchase through my links at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Before I get into all of the amazing The Big One party details, I have to share the back story! For those of you that don’t know, my sister and I were pregnant at the same time and due just two days apart (full story here)! She found out the gender and knew she was having a boy. We chose to not find out the gender until birth.
Early in our pregnancies, we decided we would definitely be doing a joint first birthday party. I had seen The Big One theme before on Pinterest and thought it was SO cute and perfect for Southern California. We decided this would be our party theme! If we had had a girl, we would have stuck to this theme but done both teal and mauve.
We had two main things to prep for before the party. Our most time consuming projects were the Cozy Coupe makeovers and the surfboards for the backdrops. If you missed it, here is the tutorial and links for everything needed for the Cozy Coupes.
Aside from those two major projects and printing all of the posters, everything else was able to be set up the day prior.
The Big One: Southern California Vendors
We had the BEST vendors who made this party possible! If you are local to Southern California, make sure to book them for your next event. You will not be disappointed!
- Bounce House: @socalbouncing The white bounce house was a huge hit! Ray was amazing to work with; he set up extremely early and let us have the bounce house until late evening. Make sure to check out the different bouncer options.
- Balloon Garlands: @garlandsbyliss I cheered with Alissa in college and of course is the only balloon vendor I would use! She worked her butt off setting up all of the garlands and making everything look absolutely perfect.
- Cookies: @sugarmamamia It’s always a bonus when the cookies taste as good as they look! Definitely found our new cookie girl; scroll her IG to see her incredible designs!
- Rentals (tables, chairs, and tent): @rosysfunhouse They provided us with great quality rentals! We last minute decided we needed more shade (thanks CA for 100 degree weather in October) and they came the night before and installed a tent canopy for us.
- You can’t have The Big One surf theme birthday without Hawaiian food! We had Ono Hawaiian BBQ catered and everyone loved it!
The Big One: Small Shops
I partnered with some of the most amazing small businesses for majority of the decorations. For any event you are planning, make sure to check out their shops!
- Ellie and Piper Co: Dessert table backdrop, teal cake stands, candles, and palm leaf confetti. Her website has tons of party decor for every occasion!
- Easy Basic Creations: Can we talk about the amazing details of the surfboard monthly photo displays?! They were PERFECT for our party! They offer photo displays, newborn announcements, cake toppers and keepsakes. You can use code “CAITLYNMUNGER” to save 15%!
- Funsta Craft: Happy birthday banner, confetti, garland, high chair “one” banners and “1” party hats. Everything is hand made and the quality is unmatched! You definitely want to look at all of the adorable themes Funsta Craft has decor for.
- Hartwood Design: The cutest wood cake toppers! We did two different colors for the boys and they were so stinking cute.
- Crowhurst Custom: Super cute wooden cupcake toppers!
The Big One: Decorations
I linked the rest of the decorations that we used!
- White Tablecloths: We have accumulated these over time with all of our events. Not that I love storing them but it’s much cheaper to purchase once than keep renting linens!
- Table Runners: You just can’t beat the price for these!
- Beach Balls: I had planned on placing these in the pool but they looked way cuter in the bounce house for a pop of color.
Hopefully this helped as a starting point for you if you are planning The Big One first birthday.
This theme has also become super popular for baby showers and is equally as adorable.